Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunday at Grand Teton

Rain greeted us yesterday morning while we were watching the Tour, which was fine by us, but not so fine for photos when we finally went for a drive.  Hopefully, the sun and clouds will cooperate today so that I can get better photos.  IMGP0372

IMGP0376We did go check out the chapel to confirm the service time today (10:00a), so we will be worshipping here this morning.  It is such a peaceful setting.IMGP0375

And afterward, we are going here for lunch.  Amy and Jason will remember this place from when we were here three years ago, carrying on the family tradition.  Dick’s parents brought their kids here back a looong time ago.

We drove on into Jackson Hole and poked around a bit, then caught a terrific presentation at the visitor’s center.  A local author and teacher (Kenneth Thomasma) gave a presentation on Lewis and Clark and their very important guide, Sacajawea, and her valuable role in getting their expedition across country safely.   He brought history alive, and has written a book about Sacajawea, using the actual journals of Lewis and Clark.  When Thomasma found out that a female was going to be featured on the new one-dollar coin, he lobbied long and hard to make sure Sacajawea was indeed that woman.  As a result, he was invited to the White House for the unveiling of the coin!

I, of course, purchased this particular book, which he signed, and with each book, he gave an uncirculated Sacajawea coin.  How ‘bout that!

Whatever you are doing today, remember how blessed you are!

11 comments:

Linda said...

"Better pictures"? "Better pictures"?? The ones here are absolutely gorgeous so I can only imagine what "better pictures" are going to look like!

What a beautiful part of the country; I sure hope to get there in person someday but if not, at least I get to see it through your eyes.

Have a beautiful Sunday!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh beautiful! i have never been there so thanks for taking me along! i would have loved to meet the author too!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I absolutely adore the Grand Tetons as the backdrop of the chapel! I love how the chapel roof-line mimics the Mountain peak!

When I was out west about a million years ago we went to Wyoming for a Cowboy Camp Cookout and Sing-a-long. It's one of my favorite memories from both of my visits to Colorado - although this was actually in Wyoming! You know what I mean, don't you? Do I need Miss Bee's fish oil? I do, don't I?

I'm praying for No Rain for you today! Take lots of lovely photos and enjoy!

big hugs :)

ivana said...

Wnhderful and soo interesting...I love these meetings with the history!!!
The scenery is superb!!!
Thanks for all the notes about this guide!!!
Have a great Sunday...send rain to me, so you can take many photos!!!
Big hugs!!!

Haley D. said...

What a terrific adventure! I look forward to reading his book when you return. Your photos are gorgeous already! Is this the chapel we went to when I was the only child? Or was that somewhere else?

Anonymous said...

a new church to worship at means meeting new people which is double the blessings! Beautiful place, regardless of the rain. Have a wonderful adventure today.

Sarge Charlie said...

I wanna be there.

Joy said...

Gorgeous area, and the lecture sounds very interesting. Rain doesn't slow you down much!

Sandee said...

What Linda said. They are beautiful photographs.

I love this part of the country. It's indeed breathtakingly beautiful. Did you go to the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar? I just loved walking through that place. Saddles for bar stools. Cool.

Have a terrific day. Big hugs. :)

Zane D. Clark said...

I haven't been in that country since I was 5. Beautiful pictures.
z

jams o donnell said...

Wow what stunning mountains. We have nothing like that here in the UK