Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Fat Tuesday!

Let the good times roll!

Happy Fat Tuesday from windy paradise! I'll take the wind over the ice reported back in Mayberry. School is closed another day (it is too dangerous for buses to go on some of the icy back roads).

Have any of you ever celebrated Mardi Gras in New Orleans or Mobile? We haven't...we don't like the huge crowds...but I would love to sit on a balcony high above Burbon Street and watch the festivities from up above.

Do you have a Mardi Gras tradition? We always attend the annual Shrove Tuesday (Fat Tuesday) pancake supper at church. Today represents the last hurrah before Lent begins tomorrow. Milk and eggs were at one time forbidden during Lent in long ago England, hence the pancakes to use up the household supply of those items. So now you know.

Got beads???

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used to go to Harry's, but not just for Fat Tuesday!

No beads anymore! Big hugs xo

ivana said...

Buongiorno Sandy!!!

I was at the bar with my friends, and we ate "sfrappole" sweet fried ribbons, you see them in my blog!
Then I visited another friend, she was frying "frittelle di riso", so i ate them too...a very fat Tuesday!!!!!
It's cold here, and a bit rain !
Tomorrow Lent...no meat!

Ciao!!!!

Joy said...

I've got my Mardi Gras beads on! But our Shrove Tuesday pancake supper was cancelled due to weather stuff...so I'll make my own pancakes for supper. Let the good time roll!

Sandee said...

Never been and have no desire to go. I just don't do the party thing anymore. Just saying. Our next door neighbors are there now.

Didn't know about the pancakes either. See I learn something every single day.

Have a terrific day. Big hug. :)

Haley D. said...

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Our pancake supper was canceled too, so it looks like leftovers at home. I'm enjoying chocolate today, because there won't be anymore tomorrow.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh now i want pancakes! ha ha ha

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Linda said...

Heck, every Tuesday is FAT Tuesday for me but alas, no celebrations of any sort go on!

When I was stationed at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, MS I was close enough to go over to New Orleans for Mardi Gras but I never did as I'm not big on crowds or drinking or even beads. Guess I've always been a stick-in-the-mud!

More snow for us today - blech!!