Saturday, May 23, 2009

A rose for our vets...and a question?

This is Memorial Day weekend, and I want to say a big THANK YOU to all our vets for giving us the freedom we so enjoy. Here is a rose for you...
Here is a question for my dear readers...do any of you use an off-site back-up provider for all your computer info? I have an external hard drive that is something like 150 G...but I don't back up to it often enough, and my 8 G memory stick that I use regularly is pretty much filled up with photos (yes, I should cull them, but those 'grands' are soooo cute it is hard to sometimes hit that delete button...) And the real kicker--all our records are under this roof, and that isn't always a good thing, if know what I mean. Shudder, shudder to think of that 'fire' word. So off site sounds like a smart thing, but how hacker safe is that? Will this company be in business forever? Will rates soar? Hmm, many questions.

My local fix-it guy offers off-site back up to the tune of about $120/yr., but of course I had to check out other sources...a couple of friends recommend Carbonite. Gosh, I can get that for 3 years at the local guy's one year price. But here is an even better deal. Click here and get a 20% off coupon for Carbonite...$2.89/month...sweet! That was a long link, so if it doesn't work, go to www.subscription.com and find it under 'Software.'

Does anyone else have a recommendation?

Enjoy your Saturday...and remember to pause and give thanks for all that is truly important in your lives.

7 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i have never used one but hear carbonite advertised all the time. the rose is beautiful! have a great weekend and get packing!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I have 2 locations, my home and my office, so I use myself! I also can upload to my business website.

I'm a backup-a-holic. No matter how many you have, it's never enough, as evidenced by my 1 week loss of data.

Of course as it turned out, my backup was fine, just couldn't be seen by my laptop.

Sometimes, you just can't win! :-D

Sarge Charlie said...

thanks so much for what you do in support of our soldiers.

Haley D. said...

My friend Rachel at theinkboutique.blogspot.com uses mozy.com. I believe it's $5/mo, and if you let her refer you then you both get some credit? I would have to check w/her about the details. I definitely need to do something. Now that Miss A is becoming a shutterbug, my PC memory is getting used up quickly.

Joy said...

Keep us posted on what you find out about this external backup stuff. Carbonite sounds promising, esp. with the discount!
Love your patriotic border and the rose for our veterans!

Linda said...

Good question and one I should be asking myself as I don't have anything backed up but definitely need to!

I was thinking about getting an external hard-drive, especially for all these darned pictures I have, but so far I haven't been able to afford one. Maybe doing one like Carbonite might be a good idea in the meantime.

Debora Quigley said...

like I said before, your external can get dropped. I use carbonite and it is wonderful. When everything failed is was so quick to get up and running. And they have unlimited storage. Some of the others limit your storage. I am very happy.