Wednesday, October 24, 2012

America’s largest home

Officially opened in 1895, this beautiful home is still owned and operated by the Vanderbilt family…along with 1,800 employees!  It is owned by Vanderbilt’s grandson, who has relinquished the running of it to his own son and daughter.

PA230066

It is an awesome place to visit.  We were treated to seeing Christmas decorations that are being put in place already, seeing areas not previously seen, and a tasty lunch in the former stable.

A drive through the gardens led us to the winery, where we enjoyed the free tasting.PA230073

Lots of flowers were still in bloom, and of course the fall foliage through the forest was a feast to the eyes.  The estate encompasses 8,000 acres, down from the 125,000 that it once was, and is truly worth the visit…in any season.

Biltmore House is filled with a rich history.  Did you know that during WWII, the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC, stored priceless paintings and sculptures here for safekeeping?  I sure didn’t know that.

Come visit!

5 comments:

Joy said...

I know it is a beautiful place at any time of year, and especially so right now! Enjoy!

Sandee said...

What a lovely place indeed. Never heard of it before, but I don't get out much.

Have a terrific day honey. Big hugs. :)

Jean(ie) said...

What an interesting tidbit about the art. Makes sense. Oh how I'd love to see it in holiday glory!

Barb said...

Be it ever so humble... I'l get there one day, by jingies.

I would love to visit during the holidays but me thinks the crowds and jacked up prices would keep me away! Although Al & Barbara found a very reasonable hotel nearby.

How was the wine tasting? I liked the cab pretty good! Some friends of mine brought me back a bottle once! ;) Enjoy! Big hugs xoxo

ivana said...

Ciao Sandy!
What a fantastic architecture, and the garden also is a dream!
Enjoy your trip!!!

Big hugs!