Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Fat Tuesday...


What is Fat Tuesday, you ask?

Fat Tuesday is Mardi Gras, the festival New Orleans, Louisiana, is famous for. "Gras" is French for fat and "Mardi" is French for Tuesday.
The annual festivities start on January 6, the Twelfth Night Feast of the Epiphany, when the three kings are supposed to have visited the Christ Child, and build to a climax on Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday, which always occurs on the day before Ash Wednesday. The parties and parades will continue until Lent begins at the stroke of midnight on Tuesday.
Mardi Gras is a legal holiday in New Orleans. It is scheduled to occur 46 days before Easter. Since the actual date Easter occurs on changes yearly, Mardi Gras can happen on any Tuesday between February 3 and March 9.
For two centuries it has been an annual event in New Orleans, except during the two World Wars.
Dick and I will spend the evening (also called "Shrove Tuesday") in typical Episcopal Church fashion--eating pancakes, but this time, we'll be at Don and Carolyn's church here in Winter Garden. Let the good times roll, y'all!

3 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

see i TOLD my daughter is was a religious holiday but did she believe me??? noooooooooooooooooooo. pancakes on shrove tuesday! yay!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxooxox

Joy said...

I'm going to make my own pancakes tonight, since we can't use our Fellowship Hall quite yet at church. We'll be moving back in later this week. But I'm wearing my beads. Now THIS is when you need that solid gold plastic tiara, Sandy, to go with all those solid gold, green, and purple beads!
Anna's in New Orleans, she and Tony decided to go to Mardi Gras this year. Will head back to ATL tomorrow.
Hugs,
Joy

Traveling Bells said...

OMGoodness, I hope Anna will send pictures of the 'real deal' there in NO! I would sorta like to go there during Mardi Gras, but don't think I'll ever brave those crowds! Yes, I plan to wear my beads tonight to dinner, but I may leave my fancy tiara home. Don't want to flash too many jewels around, of course.
Hugs back!!!