Thursday, June 5, 2008

Grover Redding

Here is an early picture of my father...note the 'old' car in the background!
And another one...have no idea of the date...people didn't label/date pics back then...and I need to tackle my own boxes of photos so that mistake doesn't keep repeating..........
But this one I do know about....
This one is in our old kitchen in Albany, GA....note the knee next to the table. His R arm is resting on the pull-down ironing board, that with five kids, pretty much stayed in the down position. There was no such thing as wrinkle free back in those days.
Daddy never liked having his picture taken, so this one was always very special to me, as it caught him in one of his relaxed poses. It was taken about 1964, the year before he killed himself, just shy of 47, and is probably one of the last pictures of him.
Unfortunately, Daddy was an alcoholic, an unknown term (at least to me) back in the '60s. It created a Jekyl/Hyde disposition in this man, as nasty addiction often does, and certainly wrecked our lives in many ways. Certainly it *shaped* our lives as well, with all five kids growing up to have a healthy respect for what alcohol can do. We have all gone through phases of anger at him for what he has missed out on--weddings, grandchildren, etc. But none of us knows the personal agony he must have suffered, and for that we are blessed. And for giving us life, and certainly some good genes thrown in the mix, we are grateful. And it is all OK.
Today would have been Daddy's 90th birthday. May you rest in peace, Daddy.

10 comments:

escape said...

wow! we have the same birthday! may he be with the Lord.

Traveling Bells said...

Dong, I sure hope he is...and totally healed. Happy birthday to you!!!

Barb said...

How sad it must have been for you kids growing up, and for your mother. None of us knows the torment they go through that brings them to the point of taking their own life. I pray he has put on his perfect body, ever present with the Lord.

Congratulations on beautiful Will! He sure is a sweet handsome fella! Amy looked fabulous on her final day of pregnancy! My mother had 8 babies and looked just like that - never gained a pound and came home in her blue jeans from pre-pregnancy.

I SO did not get that gene!

Joy said...

Aw, Sandy, I didn't realize today was your dad's birthday! I know you do treasure those pictures of him. Hugs, Joy

Joy said...

Aw, Sandy, I didn't realize today was your dad's birthday! I know you do treasure those pictures of him. Hugs, Joy

Haley D. said...

Happy birthday, Granddaddy! Thank you for my beautiful Mom!!!!!!!

Sandee said...

What a loving tribute to your father. Addiction is such an awful thing. Big hug honey. :)

Anonymous said...

Hugs, hon!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

That must have been just horrible!! I can understand how ya'll have been upset with him through the years. I also know what alcohol can do.

Sandy

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

they have their demons deep inside them and their self worth is non existent. i fear the same for my son, sadly. but for today, he is clean and sober. one more day. hugs to you today...

we'll be there tomorrow, we are in valdosta now!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxxoxoxo