Thursday, May 26, 2016

TBT - Old and new relatives

Facebook has proven to be a useful ancestry tool, because through it and the use of my maiden name, I have received contact from LOTS of relatives that I never knew.

One "new" cousin arranged through the VA to get a grave marker for her 2nd ggf (only a distant cuzn of mine), who died at the Battle of Griswoldville (GA) in November 1864.  No body was recovered, and there is no record of his burial.  His existence needed to be acknowledged for future kin to find and know that pieces of the family puzzle are falling into place. They are gone, but not forgotten.

The marker was placed next to his second wife, a son, and other relatives in the old church cemetery near Forsyth where many of our relatives worshiped so long ago.

Yes, they are distant cousins, but after sharing this experience, and a nice lunch afterward, we left as friends, wanting to get back together again and learn more about each other and our families.

There is a preserved battlefield park that my cousin visited and snapped this photo of a monument dedicated to all the Georgia men who died there.  Many of them were our kin.  Tom and Martha sent off their six boys to fight.  Only one returned home.

I cannot imagine that kind of heartbreak, along with losing a couple of sons-in-law.  War is never pretty, and times were certainly tough back in that era when those boys were needed back home.

Memorial Day is Monday, so now James Monroe Redding finally has his acknowledgement duly in place for us to remember:
Rest in Peace, sir.  You gave all.

4 comments:

Sandee said...

What a lovely post honey, what a lovely post.

Have a blessed day and weekend. Big hug to you and lots of scritches to the kitties. ♥♥♥

Barb said...

Bittersweet post. RIP, dear sir.

I don't know how you manage to convince your distant relatives to get together! Good for you!!!

I have a heckuva time getting my cousins - who we grew up with and are practivally more sisters and brothers than cousins - to stop their busy lives for even one afternoon and drive an hour for a get together. I have been practically begging my mother and her 2 sisters to get together. They have not all been together in over 15 years. They ain't gittin' no younger!

Of course, my sisters all live within 30-60 minutes of each other and pretty much only see each other when I fly up. *le sigh* Kids, grandkids, jobs, sickness, husbands... so many demands on their time, I guess.

But guess what I pulled off? All of my sisters are flying down for a week at the end of the summer and we'll all be together for 7 days and 6 mights! THAT hasn't happened in decades. We usually only get a weekend at most that we're all together. This is EPIC!

Am I excited? You betcha!!!

Have a blessed day! xoxo

Jean(ie) said...

Very appropriate for Memorial Day. Thanks to your cousins for making sure he was honored appropriately.

Joy said...

I agree - lovely post, and a wonderful tribute. And did you all PLAN to wear blue for that picture? You look coordinated as well as related!